Thursday, August 20, 2009

Loosing Someone


It's been hard to write this week because on Monday I learned that my cousin Maggie died of a brain aneurysm. She was 58. I had come home from the gym to receive a call from my cousin in the Orkney Islands of Scotland. My cheery hello lead to tears as she told me what had happened.
I was surprised at how hard it hit me. I've know Maggie for many years, have
seen her many times, and there's the phone and Internet. The sudden shock was devastating. I found my thoughts going to her husband and the rest of the
family and friends. People die all the time, but when it hits home it seems so unreal and unfair. Life will never be fair, we have to accept it and adapt.

Well, now it's Thursday and I'm doing much better. I figure much of that has to do with trying to be helpful somehow. I'm far away, but I've talked to her sister-in-law and have sent pictures and a bit of a eulogy from my sister Audrey and I.

It will be unbelievable for a very long time, especially since I'm so far removed, location wise that is. I plan to write to Malcolm, her husband, about once a week and send it snail mail. He doesn't use the computer and I'm hoping that receiving a short up lifting letter will help a bit.

Malcolm had called me Monday night and talked for nearly a half hour. I did my best to keep it together. I felt so sad and also apart of his life. It had been by mother's ambition to bring and keep the family together despite the distance. We said our good byes and I love yous. Needless to say I couldn't keep it together after that.

I'll miss you Maggie.

No comments:

Post a Comment