Thursday, August 13, 2009

Handling the Gardening and Landing Well




I try to handle changes pretty well, but there comes a time when I get tired of them. Each spring I've found gardening more difficult, but I've worked with it and have enjoyed the flowers still. In the past I've filled up two watering cans and carried them up to the front to water the plants near the garage, that don't benefit from the sprinklers, and the pots on the porch. When its hot and sunny I try to do it twice a day. Well, this year I've found it very difficult to get up the hill with the full watering cans. Actually today I threw in the towel. At times I feel like I might twist an ankle or fall and break something. So, I pulled out the walker and took it down to the faucet along with the watering cans. It was tricky but I filled them up and carefully pushed the walker, and the two cans on the seat, up the hill. Once up to the driveway it's flat and easy.

Yes, I figured a way to make the watering work, but it makes me bit angry. It's very difficult to carry things up hill, but pushing and maneuvering is still difficult, but less dangerous.

A couple summers ago I started using the red wagon to haul all the things needed around the garden. However, this spring I noticed that I have difficulty walking while pulling the wagon, especially up and down hill. So, I experimented with my wheeled walker. I found that I could put small stuff in the basket, under the seat, put my container for weeds on the seat, and hang the kneeler over the handles.

My new way of transporting tools helps me walk with them, but now I have to use a smaller basket for weeds which means more trips up to the garage to empty it, which means I get tired from walking back and forth. Hey, as long as I'm out there!

This afternoon I went out to do a bit of weeding and dead heading. I found that my large island of flowers needed water. I ended up in the middle of it with a watering can. I was watering in the usual manner when I shifted my weight in a wrong way, I suppose, because over I went. Slowly is how it felt as I went down, trying to avoid red cone flowers and all those busy flying creatures. Then the hard part, getting up. I did and I'm sure it was a sit to be seen, if anyone across the street was watching. No one drove by at least. At that point I emptied the last can on the outer flowers, tick seed, and then head in to wash up.

I had wondered if I would fall in the middle of a one of my patches of flowers. I couldn't help but think about what I would land on and would I kill something or get stung. I noticed a good amount of weeds while I was down there. Another day.

7:15 p.m.

1 comment: