Friday, January 15, 2010

I'm Back, from now where.

Well, I'm not sure who looks at these, besides some family, and by now they may have given up. It's just been hard to write during the holidays. I usually find myself distracted by all that I choose to do. I wrote an essay for the writing group last week for the first time since Halloween. It was great fun using the thesaurus and dictionary.


I made a new purchase just the other week. I had been looking at this book for sometime at Borders but at $45.00 I wasn't picking it up in a hurry, until one day I received a 33% off coupon from Borders on line. Now its mine! Yes, the Chambers Dictionary of Etymology is all mine. Pardon? What is Etymology? Well, to word geeks like me it's one of the most fun books around. Etymology is the study of the origin and development of words. This book contains over 30,000 words. For example, the other night I just flipped to a page to learn about a word.





"aback adv. Probably before 1200, developed from old English (11th century) toward the back.
The idiom taken aback was originally a nautical term meaning caught by a bead wind that presses the sails back against the mast. The figurative sense "caught suddenly by surprise" appeared in 1840 in Hood's Up the Rhine."

Now this is probably dull and boring to many but..........I love it. I'm also looking into the black plague and the Great fire of London while finishing up The Blind Side.


The Blind Side was a great feel good movie, true story and all, but the book isn't a story as the movie is. It's more of a lesson on football and the evolution of the game and the positions played and the how the game changed in the '80s from a lot of running to more passing. I'm hoping to go into the '10 season with some knowledge under my belt.


Well, that was eclectic. (I like eclectic)

7:30 p.m.

No comments:

Post a Comment